How to Declare an Anthropology Major or Minor

Students wishing to declare an Anthropology major (ANTH-MAJOR) or minor (ANTH-MINOR) must fill in a worksheet (available in the anthropology administrative office - Silsby 408). After confirming with the department administrator that the courses listed on your worksheet meet the general requirements of the major or minor, please consult with your faculty advisor in the department to discuss the plan and ask for their signature on the worksheet. Lastly, before submitting the signed worksheet to the department administrator, the student should update or enter their plan in DegreeWorks. When the plan in DegreeWorks matches the worksheet, the faculty advisor or administrator will approve the plan.

For Modified majors, students must consult with their faculty advisor in the department to prepare and submit a written rationale explaining how the four courses outside of anthropology that they want to use to modify Anthropology constitute a coherent modification of anthropology and relate to their anthropology major courses.  The four courses used to modify anthropology can come from one department or program (ANTH-ANTH:XXXX, "Anthropology modified with XXXX"), or from up to four different departments or programs (ANTH-ANTH:MOD, "Anthropology Modified").  Once the advisor approves their rationale, students can update or submit their major plan in DegreeWorks for approval, and the faculty advisor will forward their rationale to the Department Administrator to be placed in their file.

For the Global Health minor in Anthropology (ANGH-MINOR), students should consult with either Professor Sienna Craig or Professor Elizabeth Carpenter-Song about how best to select courses to satisfy the different requirements, then submit a written list of which course they propose to use to fulfill each core approach.  Once this is approved, students can submit their Global Health minor plan on DegreeWorks for approval, and their rationale will be forwarded to the Department Administrator.